HINDUSTAN UNILEVER FOUNDATION (HUF)
Loading

OUR IMPACT

Banner
HomePartnersPartners Speak S. K. Pandey (SPESD)

S. K. Pandey (SPESD)

Back

Implementation of watershed project in Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh

Partner: Society for Promotion of Eco-friendly Sustainable Development
SPESD
S. K. Pandey
Chief Programme Coordinator
“SPESD”, Bhopal-M.P.
 
Water is the lifeline of every civilization. Water is essential for survival and progress. Inspite of such a significant role, there has been gross neglect of about the use of water in India. It has been reported that hardly 30% of rain water is used effectively while the remaining 70% creates misery through flood, soil erosion and siltation of water bodies. Thus, this valuable asset, critical for survival, has turned out to be a liability. We cannot prosper without efficient use of water. Hence, we should consider water resource management to be the most important development programme in the country.
 
In this context, the Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India has started a programme in the name of Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) across the country. Two such projects i.e. IWMP - 5 & IWMP – 6 are being executed by Society for Promotion of Eco – friendly Sustainable Development (SPESD) – an associate organization of BAIF Development Research Foundation, Pune – on behalf of Hindustan Unilever Foundation (HUF) since Feb’2012 at Tikamgah District in Madhya Pradesh. 
 
The project is spread over 24 villages of Baldevgarh development block of Tikamgarh district in Madhya Pradesh covering an area of 10317 ha. The district forms part of Bundelkhand Plateau which spans over 13 districts of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. 
 
Agriculture is the main source of income in rural areas and its production mainly depends on availability of water for irrigation in addition to soil depth and its fertility.

Click to Know morepdf