Water conservation for community development around HUL, Khamgaon Unit
The project area receives very little rainfall and that too is erratic and drought like situation occurs every 4 to 5 years. Water levels in wells reported by the farmers is lower during rabi and summer season. Only 7.15% of total cultivated land is irrigated in the project area. Water utilization with efficient methods of irrigation is not being applied. Water conservation through development of water bodies is not triggered.
Agriculture is primly focused on cash crops like cotton and Soyabean. While food crops like Jawar and Wheat are taken on very small scale. Vegetable cultivation is also on very small scale. Improved agriculture with extension of advanced seed and practices of cultivation is limited.
- Improve the quality of life of families around Khamgaon with emphasis on conserving water.
- Increase the availability of water for agriculture in the watersheds around Khamgaon.
- Improve agriculture production by providing technical inputs to participating families.
Duration: September 2013 to September 2017
Coverage: 6 villages in Khamgaon in Maharashtra
- Water harvesting potential of 0.064 billion litres created benefiting around 290 people in three villages.
- The project will cover over 600 medium, small and marginal farm families during the project implementation period.
- The project was able to achieve SROI value of around 0.18
Partners: Maharashtra Institute of Technology Transfer for Rural Area''''s (MITTRA)
Click to Know more